Injury may have ruined his 2015 season but that hasn’t stopped Jason Livermore from thinking big. Axed by a leg ailment during last year’s National Championship 100 metre final, the 27 year-old Livermore is already looking forward to this season’s Nationals. He says his coach, Michael Clarke, is helping him to get back to his best. A late developer, the powerfully built Livermore slowly improved after finishing fourth in the 2007 Boys and Girls’ Championships Class One 100 metre final won by Yohan Blake for St Jago High in the record time of 10.21 seconds. His patient work paid off in 2013 when he took a bronze medal in the 200m at the Central American and Caribbean Championships and reached the semis of the event at the World Championships in Moscow. He followed that with a solid 2014 campaign and a bronze in the 200m at the Commonwealth Games. Sadly, the progress stopped last year. Not long after he helped Jamaica to win the 4x200m at the IAAF World Relays, his dreams of running in Beijing at the World Championships were crushed by his injury at the Nationals. He isn’t looking back at that disappointment. “Things have been going great, thanks to God,” he said. “My coach is ensuring that I do the necessary things to get me back where I was and better than I was before.” His coach Michael Clarke had directed him to personal bests of 10.05 for the 100m and 20.13 seconds in the 200m in 2013. He knows that he may need to be better than he was before to qualify for the Jamaican team to the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. In 2015, six Jamaicans ran faster than his 100m lifetime best and three surpassed his career best in the 200m. Livermore is undaunted and seems to relish the competition. “Things are looking forward for now in the sprints because there are a lot of athletes in Jamaica, especially young sprinters,” he observed. “Looking at the sprints right now,” he projected, “2016 Jamaica trials is going to be a very lovely.” His target is simple. “It has always been the same … just go to trials, make the finals and be in the top three,” he said.
Some of the items which were found during the searchSmuggling of prohibited items has been a perennial problem within the prison system, and this is compounded by the fact that both prison and police officers are facilitating the illegal trade.During a six-hour search conducted by ranks of the joint services on Monday at the Mazaruni Prison, several prohibited items were unearthed.Among the items were 23 nails, 22 bottles of pepper sauce, six razor blades, eight lighters, two metal spoons, 14 improvised weapons, four pieces of wire, four bottles of homemade wine, one nail clip, one transformer, one knife, four pieces of rope, one SIM card, one USB, one tweezer, one glass, 13 improvised smoking utensils, one earpiece, one metal fork, 24 disposable blades and one carved out bible use to hide a cellphone.About two weeks ago, an early morning raid at the New Amsterdam Prison by members of the Guyana Police Force and the Guyana Prison Service unearthed several items such as cellphones, a Rambo knife, shaving set, improvised weapons, phone chargers, metal spoons and a 27 razor blades among others.
Ortega said he was happy to hear of Arellanes’ conviction because “the community was really concerned.” “Some community members stepped up and testified, even though they were concerned about their safety to a degree,” Ortega said. “That was good to see. So it is closure for us, and for the community.” firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3051 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PICO RIVERA – A Pico Rivera man is facing a possible life sentence after being convicted of opening fire on rival gang members at a park – an incident that sent dozens of parents and children fleeing for cover during a Little League game last year. Bobby Arellanes, 19, could be ordered to spend the rest of his life behind bars when he is sentenced March 27, said Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Sean Coen. After a five-day trial in Bellflower Superior Court, jurors found him guilty Wednesday of attempted murder, and assault with a firearm. Jurors also found true several allegations under the attempted murder and firearm charges, including that it was a willful, deliberate and premeditated shooting, and that it was a crime committed for the benefit of a gang. “I think the people and the jury were just fed up with this sort of crime happening in the neighborhood,” Coen said. “And the fact that this was a gang shooting that occurred in a park where kids were playing baseball didn’t help the situation.” The April 3, 2006, shooting at Streamland Park triggered community outrage and prompted deputies from the Sheriff’s Department’s Pico Rivera Station to increase park patrols. During his trial, witnesses testified that Arellanes belonged to a gang that claims the park as its territory, and that other gang members ordered him to open fire on a rival gang member. Another witness testified that she drove Arellanes to Streamland Park to pick up a friend on the day of the shooting. She said Arellanes told her to drive up to a man in the parking lot and slow down. David Morones, 26, of Pico Rivera was the intended victim, sheriff’s gang Detective Hank Ortega said. Ortega testified that a dispute between the two gangs over control of the park led to the shooting.
25 April 2012KThe South African Navy played a key role in a major multi-national operation that saw 12 suspected pirates captured and six Sri Lankan hostages rescued off the coast of Tanzania last week.Revealing the operation on Wednesday, the navy said a suspected pirate mother ship had coincidentally been spotted off the Tanzanian coast during a search the previous weekend for the South African yacht Dandelion.South African Navy ship the SAS Drakensberg, which is equipped for anti-piracy operations and was busy patrolling the Mozambican Channel at the time, was helping the French Navy when the pirate suspects were spotted last Monday.“The pirate mother ship, with a skiff in tow, was identified as the Sri Lankan fishing vessel Nimesha Duwak which was captured by pirates on 9 November last year,” the navy said in a statement.Search and rescue becomes pirate huntAround midday on the Monday, Dandelion was found safe and sound off the coast of Mozambique, and the search and rescue operation shifted to a “piracy interdiction operation” involving the SAS Drakensberg, the Tanzanian Navy and European naval units busy operating off Somalia.By the Monday afternoon, the Tanzanian Navy had given South Africa permission to conduct anti-piracy operations within its territorial waters, and the hunt was on.Over next 24 hours, the SAS Drakensberg and its South African Air Force helicopter scoured the cluttered Tanzanian coast – applying the crucial pressure from the south that eventually drove the pirates into the hands of the European and Tanzanian vessels closing in from the north.By midday last Wednesday, the pirates had been forced to split up, and the Tanzanian authorities subsequently found the skiff and arrested five suspected pirates on Songo Songo Island.Teamwork rewarded“Wednesday evening saw units from four different countries closing in on the estimated position of the pirate mother ship,” the navy said.“The Spanish warship got there first and managed to capture the vessel by 20:30. Seven suspected pirates were apprehended and the six long-suffering Sri Lankan crew members were finally freed.”The suspects were all handed over to the Tanzanian authorities, who would now start navigating “the legal minefield of prosecuting them for crimes committed in International waters”.The successful operation had sent out a clear message that the South African National Defence Force, as part of the armed forces of the Southern African Development Community (SADC), “will not allow illegal activities within SADC waters,” the navy said.“It is also clear that the tripartite agreement between South Africa, Mozambique and Tanzania, and the subsequent deployment of SADC forces to safeguard our sea lanes, is paying dividends in ensuring the safety of our seafarers and their precious cargoes.”SAinfo reporter
When it comes to the sustainability of business in mobile games, App Annie sees two avenues of success.“Either you are that cool game that everybody need to have or you are in it through a variety of apps as how you make your money,” Sanchez said. Angry Birds from Rovio is the classic example of the game you need to have. Electronic Arts and its 829 games in the App Store is the prime example of building a business through a broad portfolio of titles. For the time being, King falls into the former group. But, when Candy Crush Saga inevitably fades, will King have a replacement to help stay at the top of the rankings?“That’s the golden question,” Sanchez said. “We do tend to notice that the top publishers, especially on iOS, tend to stay the same over time.” King has a lot of inventory to move from the desktop to mobile. So, there is a chance it can catch fire once again. Will it be Yo-yo Jackpot? Papa Pear? Bubble Witch Saga?Or, King could be a flash in the pan as the likes of EA and Zynga catch on to its wiles and push it out of the market. Even if it proves brief, King is experiencing the upside of what has become the golden age for mobile game developers. It should enjoy the success … while it lasts. Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces The experts at App Annie don’t have a really good explanation for the popularity of Candy Crush.“It is a combination of a lot of things and no one thing in particular,” said Marcos Sanchez, VP of corporate global communications at App Annie. “Candy Crush has found a balance between storyline, pace of gameplay and social.”Puzzle games have almost always done well on computers, from Minesweeper on ancient Windows PCs to Tetris to Candy Crush. Sanchez notes that games like Candy Crush are great time-killers, played while waiting for a bus or on the Subway or in the waiting room at the doctor’s office. To a certain extent, Candy Crush speaks to the preponderance of smartphones as the primary interface people currently have with the Internet. “People are really starting to experience the Internet more through mobile apps to the detriment of the desktop browser,” Sanchez said. So, it is understandable that a classic PC-style puzzle match game would do well in mobile. Today, it is Candy Crush, with its unremarkable yet somehow just-right graphics, pace and storyline, its social features, its hints of the Candy Land board game from yesteryear, its je ne sais quoi. Tomorrow? Hard to tell.Can King Maintain Its Crown? A saga of sweet, sweet proportions has been unfolding on smartphones across the world over the last several months. And a new darling of mobile game publishers may have been born. Candy Crush Saga, by United Kingdom-based games publisher King.com, is the most downloaded game for both the iPhone and Android. And it has been so for some time. But how did this game, which really has no discernible special features or original style of gameplay, become the overwhelming favorite among mobile gamers?Mobile analytics firm App Annie, which tracks downloads and revenue on both the Google Play store for Android and Apple’s App Store, has Candy Crush as the most downloaded game for May 2013 in both. Candy Crush also brought in the most revenue of games in the App Store for the month while coming in second (to a game called Puzzle & Dragons from Japan) in Google Play. The top charts within the App Store and Google Play themselves have listed Candy Crush at or near the top for almost all of 2013.What makes Candy Crush’s success more amazing is that its publisher, King.com, has not historically had success in mobile. Yet, for May 2013, King ranked third in number of downloads on the App Store. It was fourth on Google Play. King was in the top 10 in revenue for the month in both stores as well.And King accomplished that with only three games in the App Store and two for Android. Electronic Arts has 829 apps in the App Store and 121 on Google Play. Angry Birds maker Rovio has 30 apps for the iPhone/iPad and 15 for Android. According to App Annie, the three publishers ahead of King—EA, Rovio, and Gameloft—on the App Store average 372 apps on the platform. dan rowinski What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Tags:#App Annie#Candy Crush Saga#Electronic Arts#King.com#Mobile Games#social games#zynga King defies the conventional mobile-game wisdom of spreading your bets as bored consumers go from game to game to game. And Candy Crush reigns supreme. No Neophyte RulerKing has been making games on the Internet for 10 years. You’ve likely played a couple in you life in a moment of boredom. King’s catalog of games includes standards like Solitaire and word games. The company’s website says it has more than 150 games in its portfolio, most accessible through desktop browsers and heavily tied to Facebook. King received backing from Yahoo Europe in 2004 and €34 million from two venture capital firms in 2005. It is reportedly considering an initial public offering which would let it expand further around the globe, particularly in Asia. It’s not some baby company making its first steps. Yet it is relatively new to mobile, which may give a reason as to why Candy Crush Saga does so well. It has pulled off a trick Zynga has largely failed to do, pulling in players from the desktop world who are getting a favorite game on their smartphones for the first time. Source: CrushingCandies.comAs a game, Candy Crush is remarkable for how unremarkable it is. If you ever played Bejeweled on the desktop or a mobile device, Candy Crush Saga is a lot like that. Instead of jewels, one plays with candy. It uses classic social marketing dynamics to move players along in the game (share information, get friends to sign up, get rewards) and in-app purchases for extra moves and extra lives. These match-style games are nothing new. They started with Tetris in the 1980s and moved to Dr. Mario in the 1990s. The past decade brought bubbles, monsters, jewels … and candy.Past mobile hits, like Minecraft and Angry Birds, brought genuinely new styles of play or new social dynamics like the ones Zynga popularized. Candy Crush’s in-app purchase options and graphics are standard-issue.But it turns out that focusing on the traits that seem distinctive when trying to sort through the mass of mobile games doesn’t really help you identify hits.Striking A Balance Related Posts The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology
Prepare Adobe Illustrator files for use in After Effects in just a few easy steps!I often use a lot of vector assets from Illustrator when doing heavy motion graphics in After Effects. After Effects can import .ai and .eps files, but unless they files are set up properly, getting the pieces as individual layers in After Effects takes some prep work. Luckily, it’s made really easy with one quick command!For this example we’ll use the following vector:You’ll notice in the layer panel that there are multiple elements broken up, but they’re not in top-level layers. This is an important distinction: Even though Illustrator can have sub-layers, After Effects will only separate the top-level layers.The document’s layers in Illustrator:To quickly separate the objects into different layers, first select the parent layer. Next, click on the drop-down menu in the top right of the layer panel and select “Release to Layers (Sequence).” This will put each object inside that parent layer into it’s own sub-layer.Make sure you choose “Sequence,” not “Build”:New sub-layers are created for each object/group:The last thing to do in Illustrator is to select all of those sub-layers and drag them to the top to create new top-level layers. Save the file and move over to After Effects.Select the sub-layers:Drag them to the top:In After Effects, import the file as “Composition – Retain Layer Sizes,” which will keep the individual layer’s size instead of making everything the same size as the “artboard” (the document size in Illustrator).Import as “Composition – Retain Layer Sizes”:All the layers move over to After Effects:Each layer is the right size.And there you have it; After Effects will pull each layer from Illustrator in as a separate, properly sized layer in a new comp!
Two non-local recruits of the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) were killed in an operation on Thursday.A top police official confirmed to The Hindu that militants later raided houses in south Kashmir’s Kulgam, Anantnag, Shopian and Pulwama.“We are investigating these raids. Details are sketchy. Four to seven persons have been kidnapped,” said the police official.Police sources said brothers of two policemen, identified as Inspector Nazir Ahmad and Mehmad Ahmad in Anantnag’s Arwani were kidnapped from their residences in militant raids.Also Read Kashmir Valley shuts down ahead of Supreme Court hearing on special status Militants raided several houses of policemen in south Kashmir on Thursday night and kidnapped seven persons, including policemen and their relatives.The incident occurred on a day when security forces arrested 11 persons, mainly relatives of active militants in south Kashmir, including Hizbul Mujahideen ‘operational commander’ Riyaz Naikoo’s father from Awantipora. It also follows the arrest of Hizbul Mujahideen ‘supremo’ Syed Salahuddin’s elder son by the National Investigation Agency in the 2011 money laundering case.Also Read 2 Lashkar-e-Taiba men killed; crackdown on kin of militants A pro-militant online account claimed that militants have kidnapped the son of policeman Mohammad Maqbool Bhat of Arawani, brother of SHO Nazir Ahmad Sankar of Bijbehara, policeman Bashir Ahmad Makro from Kulgam’s Kharpora and son of Abdul Salam Rather from Yamrach Yaripora of Kulgam. An unconfirmed report suggests the brother of a deputy superintendent of police was also kidnapped in south Kashmir.Militants kidnapped Asif Rather, the son of a policeman, three days ago.Meanwhile security was tightened in the Kashmir Valley amid a shutdown call, on the eve of the Supreme Court hearing petitions challenging Article 35A, which defines State subject laws.The J&K government will again seek its deferment in view of the upcoming polls.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say West Ham happy to outbid Flamengo for Inter Milan striker Gabriel Barbosaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWest Ham are still in the mix for Inter Milan striker Gabriel Barbosa.Flamengo are pushing hard to sign Gabigol, who is fresh from an outstanding season on-loan at Santos.However, Tuttosport says Fla are finding Inter’s €20m valuation too rich.In contrast, West Ham are prepared to meet the price – and pay it all up front.For his part, Gabigol has declared he’d welcome the chance to play in the Premier League.
Huddersfield pile pressure on Stoke boss Jonesby Freddie Taylor23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveStoke City suffered further misery in midweek as they were defeated 1-0 by Huddersfield in the Championship.The result means that it is another week spent at the bottom of the Championship for the Potters.Manager Nathan Jones had already spoken about the security of his position before the game.Now it appears that he is only a matter of time from getting the sack, given the club’s poor run of form all season.It was a tight game between the two Championship sides, with both teams having chances to score first.But eventually it was Juninho Bacuno who came off the bench to seal the win for the Terriers away from home. About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say